Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Week 4 - Level 2: Games, Games, Games....

                                             A typical afternoon in the Children's Room.

I scanned the game websites listed in level 2, but would need to spend more time than I have right now to review these sites thoroughly.  Here is my brief review of these sites.

Guys Read provides recommended books for boys and young adults.
The site was very easy to navigate and provided lists by author, subject and age.
I may refer to this site when looking for additional purchases for our collection.
I will be going back to explore this site further.

Project Noah is an website that allows you to locate and document wildlife in your area. The site provides an opportunity to view wildlife around the world also.  I may keep it in mind to pass on to our teachers who visit the library, but it is unlikely that I will be using it.

Acapela.tv had many games available to play if you download adobe flash player.
Since our library computers do not always work well with downloaded games, I prefer recommending game sites that do not need a download before playing.  This may be a fun site for home use, but I wouldn't be promoting it for our library game players.

Talking Pets lets you choose a preset pet, background, message, etc…. to save and send to a friend, just for the fun of it.  You can also upload a picture of your own favorite pet.  I have to admit the guilty pleasure of playing with this site, myself.
I own a dog, can upload her picture, add a talking mouth, create my own message and send the "talking dog" with a spoken message (a few voices to choose from) to a friend.  This is just silly fun, but yes, it is fun.

Pandora was a site I was already familiar with.  It provides the opportunity to type in any artist or song and a personalized radio station will be created for you with similar music. You can then listen to your music on the computer or most mobile devices.  This is a great site & very popular.  I have used it before.

Imbee seems to have many games & activities.  I just skimmed over it, so at this time, I will just say it looked interesting , but I am not sure how easy it is to navigate. I would have to spend more time reviewing it before I would recommend it to our young patrons.

Speekaboos was a good website for children ages 2 - 8 years old.  There is plenty of free stuff including  a few nursery rhymes & stories read aloud.  There are several on line activities and worksheets to print out.  There is a search filter which allows you to locate free books (read aloud) by subject & reader (some famous). Young children may enjoy listening to the stories read aloud on this site.
To fully use this website there is a monthly fee of $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year. 

Meddybemps is a good reinforcement site for young children to practice skills through simple games.  The site provides a parent & teacher guide to locate appropriate activities for the skill desired.  I would recommend this site to parents of young children because it is easy to use, and the activities are simple.

Museum Box appears to be a site that can be used in a classroom setting.  Teachers could create an assignment for students to create a cube containing text & pictures related to a particular subject or person. I can see this being used as a reinforcement activity.

TeacherVision does have a few free items.  The site is visually very busy and almost everything I randomly clicked on had an advertisement attached, or offered me so much more if I only subscribed for $49.95 per year.  There was a free DK clip art section that could be useful , but overall,  did not enjoy clicking around on this site.

Kidopo is a website I have seen in the past. It does have lots of games that are popular with young children through grammar school age. This site is loaded with advertisements, many which are geared for a more mature audience (say PG / PG13 crowd).  I would want to alert parents about the advertisements prior to introducing this site to children.

No comments:

Post a Comment